Elder Harris, Portia and Gordella

Monday, November 9, 2009

GETTING WET AND PLAYING DOCTOR

Hello everyone! This has been a crazy week for me. The following is from my journal:
“Imagine walking up a dirt path on your way to an appointment. In the distance, you can see the huge, dark clouds with lightning that signify rain here in Kumasi. To the right about 2 miles away is where your appointment is. To the left, only about 5 mins away, lies your apartment. If you decide to go home, your night is finished and its only 6:30. The feeling in your heart tells you that you should try to make it to the appointment so you get going. Ten mins later you’re standing under a light tent thing drenched to the bone. Your feelings are now definitely telling you to get back to the apartment, you did your best.”
“If you were standing under one of the porches that line the main road of Kumasi last Tuesday, you would have seen two guys with white shirts and ties running through the worst storm of the season. The crazy white guy in the back is laughing his head off.”
It has rained almost everynight here for the past week. When it rains, IT RAINS, and you had better find shelter. We’ve been caught out in it more than once but this was the worst time.
I’ve been playing the role of Apartment Doctor for the past week. Elder Adjeifio asked me if I was a brave man. Of course my pride prompted me to say yes. He then asked me to help him stuff cotton gauze deep under two of his ingrown toe nails. Of course now I had to really prove that I was brave so I helped him using surgical scissors to stuff the cotton while he gripped the bed in agonizing pain. I get to do this every night. Its a really fun job.
I was almost killed by a drunk driver a couple days ago. I didn’t know he was coming till he swept by me going at least 60 mph within a foot of my leg. Its really hard to love these type of people, but I do my best.
Our work here is still slow, but it is starting to pick up. We are teaching a few investigators and visiting some inactives. I feel like I am getting much better at teaching.
Esther has been taught everything before I came. We still visit her, trying to get her to come to church. She told us that she had a dream and now she wants to get baptized. Of course, the only way to know if she is serious is if she comes to church. Unfortunately, her mother and daughter have recently become very sick and need constant care. Hopefully she will have to time to come to church next Sunday.
We met Priscilla at her home on my second day in the field. She is very smart and interested in our message. So far she has kept her commitments so we gave her a Book of Mormon. She’s in Accra for this whole week, so hopefully she reads and prays about it. Maybe she will come to church this Sunday.
Dennis is the son of Sister Comfort, a regular at our ward in Asokwa. He was baptized a few years ago but started attending a different church when his school proffesor told him that if he did he would get better grades. Of course his grades didn’t go up and now he doesn’t trust any church. We are reteaching him the discussions because he doesn’t seem to remember anything. Hopefully we can bring him back.
Another less active member we are seeing is named Kodjo Antwi. He claims he can’t come to church because of work. While we were talking with him, he saw his friend and wanted us to teach him. This was sweet cause our goal is being accomplished. To our dissapointment, Samuel the friend speaks only Twi. Kodgo had to interpret the entire first discussion for us. Its my hope that by helping us translate, he will feel the spirit again a make a way to come to church.
Yesterday, I got a TON of mail dated from October 13 to the 24th. Most of these were Dear Elders which were all put together so it took a half hour just to organize them into something I could read. I didn’t mind much, I love mail! Please, if you get the chance, write me a quick note. It will make my day. My parents are helping me get some of your addresses so I can write you but it would be easier if you just send them straight to me.
I’ve got to congradulate Elder Jordan Thomas in the MTC. He speaks Spanish so well he’s getting sent out six weeks early with the advanced class. Way to go! Trust me, time goes a billion times quicker out in the field, especially after being locked up for three weeks! I’ve got a letter coming but maybe its out of date now;)
Congrats to my cousin too. She just gave birth to a baby girl! I wish you all the best!!
That’s all for now. I miss you all! If you want to hear from me send me a letter! It might take a while to get here but I’ll try my best to reply.
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment