Elder Harris, Portia and Gordella

Monday, December 7, 2009

HARD WORK

Hello! So everything is pretty much the same here in Kumasi. Everyday we get up and pretty much waste time (street contacting/former investigators) till lunch then we walk to Ahinsan where our real work has been. Unfortunately our less actives still didn't come to church yesterday. I wonder what their excuse is this week.

Elder Adjeifio has been transferred to Cape Coast where he will be a zone leader. Replacing him is a new greeny named Elder Clemments from Idaho. He is a cool guy even though he can be kind of quite. Its awesome to not be the new guy in the apartment. I feel bad though cause Elder Akoki is now the only African living with us.

A couple cool things happened to us this week. On Friday we had nothing to do in the morning so we decided to go get Elder Akoki a haircut. There was a man there already so we sat down to wait. For about twenty minutes we just sat there about a foot from the man talking about baptisms and missionary work. When the man was finished he turned in his seat, looking straight at me and said, "The Book of Mormon." Both my companion and I said sa, and asked him how he knew about the book. Apparently he is a less active member who traveled a while ago and hasn't been to church since. We are going to try to meet him this week. I don't believe in coincidence out here.

Abdela came to church again this week. He just showed up for Sacrament meeting last week and was very interested. He was formally a Muslim and wants to become a Christian. We taught him the first lesson and he told us he feels very comfortable in the church and wants to be baptized as soon as possible. Of course we told him there are some steps to take but we are hopeful for him. He is going to bring his wife and child next Sunday.

I also gave my first confirmation to a man that was baptized a couple weeks ago. His name is Eric Ocansey. I was really nervous in front of the whole ward but it went well. It was a pretty cool experience.

Things are moving fast here. I've been out for two months now and it feels like no time has passed at all. Right now I'm just hoping Christmas was as good as Thanksgiving:)

So I'm getting pretty tired. Its hard work walking all day and teaching in the heat. Its getting dryer though so its been nice even if the heat hasn't gone away at all. I don't really think it will get much cooler for the Hamatan.

Its getting more normal here every day as I've already said. I went to the busy part of town today so that was a crazy new experience but for the most part nothing new happens that often. You will never really understand Africa till you've been here for a while. I laugh at the way I thought about this continent before I came here. I'm just glad i'm in Ghana. All I have to say is that I'm doing fine. I'm getting more and more confident in myself (maybe too much sometimes) but I would still be lost without Elder Akoki. Pray he doesn't get transferred in six weeks! Zone Conference has been moved back a week so I'm still waiting for letters. Its been agonizing the past couple weeks and zone conference won't be for two more weeks.

Well I thinks thats it for now. I bought a Guitar, The brand name is Fendar. Its pretty sweet except the strings are awefull. Maybe thats something else i could use, Strings and some picks (good picks;) I love you guys a lot. I'll talk to you soon too! Good bye!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment