Elder Harris, Portia and Gordella

Monday, February 22, 2010

THE MOSQUITERS FINALLY GOT ME!

Greetings to you all! Today, my heart is drawn out to the people I left behind in the US. I miss you all very much.

So the Olympics started hmm? Its kind of funny that no one here really cares all that much. I guess they don't really enjoy the snow very often. All I heard is that Ghana has its first Winter Olympics competitor this year. I think he is in some skiing event.

Anyway, this has just been a wonderfull weekend for Elder Lehr and I. Elder Lehr has been sick since Wednesday, but we still went to this restuarant to celebrate his 6 months in Ghana. I ate a Ton of this crappy pizza and I was completely full. Bad Luck for me....

The mosquiters finally got me! At about 10 o clock on friday night I just started puking my guts out. Theres nothing worse then tasting a nasty pizza twice and seeing the pepperoni you swallowed an hour ago, all over the toilet seat. YUMMY! I had to suffer all night long before I could call Sister Sabey in the morning. The next day I wasn't puking anymore but all my muscles felt like jellow and I was stuck in bed all day. It was the same for Sunday. Oh yeah it was awesome. Take your DOXY.

Today, I'm feeling better but I'm still weak. It was a pain walking to the cafe from the apartment. I should be fine by tomorrow. At least I'm able to eat.

All right what else went down this week? I'm having a hard time remembering anything before Friday.

The Asokwa Elders were assigned the task of finding a community service project big enough for 16 missionaries. While we were looking around Elder Akoki and I visited this school compound not far from Ahinsan. We walked in and talked to the manager and he told us to come back the next day. When we came back, we were shown to the head of the school and we asked him if we could help clean up the compound on Saturday. After thinking for a minute the man looked at me and told us that our idea was absurd. If we really wanted to help the school, the church should provide the tools and the leadership and the students would provide the labor. Why does the US want to send people to clean up Ghana? What, is their country so clean that they have to try cleaning the whole world?

Some people are just ridiculous. They have their point of view and when you try to explain yours they just talk right over you. The problem for us is that Elder Akoki doesn't know the secret to leaving such a converstation (the secret is just to leave). After the man explained the same thing like four times we finally got out of there. To keep a long story short we were never able to find a service project and we all got sick anyway.

Elder Akoki and I finally have a bunch of people to teach. A couple of them seem like they really care too, but you never know. They all live pretty far away so we have to walk every single day. It really beats contacting.

We have been teaching this school manager who is married to a member in Dichemso. He is pretty stubborn and I don't think we would go back if he wasn't a referal. He always has this friend with him. The first day he was there he was completely quiet. He didn't say a word. The second day near the end of the lesson he sort of exploded. He has these crazy facial expressions as he tells us hallejuja and you are my friend! He will even get down on his knees and shake our hands everytime he agrees with something.

Any way were were teaching both of these guys last week when Samuel leans back and says to me, "Harris! You're my friend."

This is the point where I thought, "Awe crap, here it comes."

I said, "Yes?"

"We want you come with us somewhere."

"Oh really? Where is that?"

Samuel looked at his crazy partner and told us that he wants to use me to advertise his schools. What parent wouldn't love to send his or her children to a school endorsed by an American white man? The commercial would be played all over Ghana and not only would they get more students, we would be able to teach thousands of youth the gospel.

Like I said, some people are just ridiculous. I politely told him that as a missionary I can't involve myself with such a project. Sorry.

So there's nothing else going on here. Tomorow we are going down to Cape Coast to meet Elder Holland. We are all pretty excited. We won't get our transfer news till tuesday night and tranfers are on wednesday:( Who knows, I could be training...

I'm coming up on five months a week from tomorrow! How EXCITING! I can't believe how fast time has gone. It all feels like one long day. I'm finally feeling a little bit confident at what I do. A change of scenery wouldn't be bad though.

I'm sorry Dad got his butt whooped by such a quiet show like House. Oh well, theres always next year;)

Keep on enjoying the olympics! Wouldn't it be sweet to go to the 2012 olympics in London? Yeah it would:)

I love you and miss you all!
Elder Harris

Ps. Don't worry about me;) I'm already feeling fine!

I wont back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates up hell but I
Won't back down

Well I know whats right
I got just one life
In a world that keeps on draggin me down
Gonna, stand my ground
And I won't back down

Hey baby
There aint no easy way out
Hey I will stand my ground
And I won't back down

Tom Petty

LETTER FROM ELDER AKOKI

I was so happy when I receive the package for the valentine day. Thank you so much for all you have done for me. I sometimes feel that its a little to much. I really felt that I was loved. Its really helps in this work. Thank you again and May God bless you and your family. This Tuesday is going to be transfer so I dont know if I will still be around because Ive been here now for 9 months, but I really dont want to leave, and the main reason is because of the Wonderful companion that I have. Even though its not easy the good times that we ve together make me not want to leave. I really love him. You have a wonderful son I know hE will be a real blessing for your family.
May God bless your family. Enjoy the pict (apartment unity picture)


No comments:

Post a Comment