Elder Harris, Portia and Gordella

Monday, June 7, 2010

FARMER HARRIS

Dear Family, Be patient when it comes to pictures. I'm having them put on a DVD next Monday and then I have to figure out how to send them to you. I think they have a post office here in Fosu or maybe I can send it In Cape Coast. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can even send them. Don't worry though you are getting almost 1,000 pictures and videos from my first transfer going. Your party sounded fun. Bass players are more legit then Keyboard players. Radiohead's keyboardist is also the lead guitarist so that would have been way cool. Sorry. It would have been even cooler if it was the piano player because that's Thom York himself! TOO BAD The Internet is way slow today and I'm short on time so this might be a little be shorter than normal. Things in Achiese are pretty much the same every single day. We get up doing something in the morning (meetings or service projects) then we go out around two and teach lessons straight till about 6 or 6:30 when it gets too dark to teach. This place is way dark at night. It's nice cause I can actually see the stars again when it's not raining. We are now into the actual rainy season. It rains every single day and we are always wet. Thats ok because I was always wet before. This time its not sweat though. I got to experience what farming in Ghana is really like. On Wednesday we grabbed our machetes and hiked down into the jungle for about a half hour. We were really in the bush before we found the farm. There is not real order to how they plant cassava, its just spread all over the place. Our job for the day was weeding which is pretty much like cutting down the forest surrounding the cassava trees. We spent the next 2 hours bent over swiping at the weeds with our machetes. Luckily there are so many trees that we are never in the sun but my hand was dead by the end. I've got some cool vids of us doing this. After wards I was dead tired for two days. I can't believe they do this every day for their living. So you guys are in Texas now? How long does it take to drive there? I know you told me already but what exactly are you going to be doing? What is it like there? Flat? So it's been nice living with nothing but Africans for the past few weeks. They are all really cool guys. Elder Buah is pretty quite but when he gets going he talks super fast. I have a hard time understanding him sometimes. He says he lived in Accra but his accent is different for some reason. All right I'm out time for now! Everything is way more routine here than at Kumasi but that's what makes it sweet. I love the quite. I hope everything is nice In Texas! The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas! Love Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment