Elder Harris, Portia and Gordella

Monday, July 25, 2011

Dear Mother

There may be flooding in Accra but it hasn't rained here for about a week. That day it rained very heavy but it stopped and there was no flooding in Kojokrom. Nothing that isn't normal I guess. As for shoes I haven't been able to wear my boots so I've had to use my other echoes. The fringe around the edge is coming off but I think they will survive. If the rain lets up a little bit I'll be able to use the boots as well. So we are OK but the Internet was knocked out for some reason last week. My companion doesn't email so we just didn't come back till today.

This last week has been very busy as Elder Eriabie and I have started contacting heavily on a day to day basis. I have found that the only way I'll be able to teach him is to tract out people to teach. It's been nice because not only have we found a few very good investigators, they have all progressed at about the same rate allowing my son to teach each lesson over and over again in a given day. He is learning well and will be a good teacher. It's funny to see my own teaching "style" creep into how he teaches.

Elder Eriabie is from Nigeria and is pretty quiet and soft spoken. He isn't shy however and I can tell there is a jokester underneath his quiet exterior. One way I've been able to judge how one I am with my companions is by how we screw around with people. We don't have to say anything when we decide to alter the truth. We just go with each other. My compa also uses his quiet, shy, "I'm a new missionary!" look to help him mess with our member friends. He's a really cool guy. Even though we are pretty quiet together as we walk around, he is starting to open up and with a little time we will be the best of friends.

Training has allowed me to relearn the consecrate yourself to the Lord principle. I've been working harder to give my all to His work. The article in the July Liahona that Elder Holland wrote really hit me in the face. He said we all need a little more of what drove the Pioneers to leave everything they had to follow the Lord. In many ways there are a great inspiration in my life and I'm striving to be more like them.

OK I just started my application for LDS Business College. I did everything I could from here but your going to have to do me a favor. I need you to log on and complete everything I couldn't, mainly submitting my transcripts for Burbank High, Pasadena City College, and Glendale Community College. Also I need you to pay the application fee which is $35. I'm not really sure how to do all this but I don't think it is difficult. You'll probably have to go to the schools and get the information. If this seems too difficult just think of those weary pioneers crossing the plains with handcarts in the snow. Lol, also remember that I love you very much! ;)

We are planning to have a baptism at the end of August. It is my great hope to baptize Porcha's brother Eric. We started teaching him this week and have been able to teach him everyday. He is very open and has been keeping his promises. He says he will try to come to church this Sunday so I know that if he takes us seriously and is willing to keep his commitments, he will come to know our message is true. Then there won't be anything stopping him from being baptized...hopefully. I have faith that we are doing our part so the Lord will do His. There are also some other prospects who look very good and may even be ready by the end of August. We will keep praying then working.

It's been beautifully sunny and cool. There is always a cool breeze off the ocean and it even gets somehow cold at night. It feels like spring in California. The sun still beats me but I'm used to that. I'm enjoying myself again after that short dark period when I was sick and Elder Baron was going home. I'm healthier then I've been a long time and I've been really hungry every day. I think I'm even starting to gain some weight again. If only I had more MEAT! All I eat is bread, spaghetti and starch. Oh well, soon I'll be able to eat whatever I want and I'll have to be careful not to get fat. Hehe, I don't even know if that is possible!

Well I'm going to go now. I had to take some extra time for the application and my poor companion has just been sitting here. I love you all! Keep me in your prayers.

Love
ELDER HARRIS
ZOOMLION/WHITE TIGER
DAGGER TODD

No comments:

Post a Comment